Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Book Review: Unwind by Neal Shusterman

I'll start this review by talking about the context of this book. I originally read it as a part of the 'Random Reads' meme hosted by I'm Loving Books, but soon forgot all about it (which I am embarrassed to admit). I actually read this back in May, but due to exams and outside commitments I have not had a chance to pot this.

I am really grateful to Sarah at I'm Loving Books for running this meme, as it gave me a gateway to books I'd seen but not really been drawn to, and now absolutely love. So I give you... Unwind.

Summary: Connor, Risa, and Lev are running for their lives. The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end.

Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound.
Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.

Review: Call it science-fiction, call it dystopia, call it whatever you want. What you can't deny is that this book is amazing. It's thought provoking, suprise enducing and terrifying, and yet somehow Neal Shusterman managed to turn this tale into a work of art.

It's written in a format that I haven't come accross before, with chapters in the voices of not only the 3 protagonists, but also side characters who don't even have names (e.g. Guard) that are merely passers by in this grand adventure.

I must say this was my favourite of the few random reads that I read, and for a book published nearly 6 years ago you'll be suprised how up to date and on-trend it is.
So give it a go; it may horrify you, move you and amaze you throughout the epic journey its characters lead, which will keep you reading all night! I will certainly be ordering the sequel, as I can't wait to read more Neal Shusterman! 4.7 stars.

Happy reading.



3 comments:

  1. I've got this book and truth be told I really struggled to get into it, so it's gone back on my bookshelves for now and I think I'll give it ago again seen as you've given it a 4.7! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try and read this book your review makes it sound brill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for really enjoying it! I liked this, probably because it's one of the few books that has properly freaked me out. Chapter whatever with Roland!

    ReplyDelete

We love to receive feedback, and it just makes our day whenever we read them, so thank you from the bottom of our hearts for any comments you may make.
Be sure to add us on twitter, and if you leave your username in the comment we will be sure to add you back!
Follow us as @G30rg13_R, @Gail__Abi, @Issy_Rich and @lily_kirby, or on Google+ as 'BrainStorm Books'.