Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Book Review: Forgotten by Cat Patrick



Summary: With the intrigue of "Memento" and the romance of "The Time-Traveller's Wife", "Forgotten" is the perfect YA novel.

Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-if's in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.


Review: This book is a great example of both romance and an air of mystery combined. I felt just that little bit sad and definitely wierded out by London's memory losses, but I can't say it blew me out of the sky because it didn't. It is, however, still the sort of book that I stay up all night to read. What's the word... Gripping.

London's memory loss issue also proves to add an awesome writing style to chapters - it's as if the start of each chapter is the start of a new book, with London re-reading her notes to find out what happened in her life on the previous day. It made me feel sad when she tells herself lies ( which she believed because of course someone would trust themself to tell the truth) or leaves information about her day out of the note, or can't remember her first date, or tenth.

But the one drawback of this book if that the ending feels rushed; the further into the book you get the more time skips between each passing chapter. Until the end arrives and it's 10 years later and you don't have a clue what's going on.

It also feels rushed because the climax is the whole last wedge of book, leaving you feeling that there should be a sequel, although there shouldn't - I may be many things, but I don't condone sequels made for money, rather than love for the subject matter.
Overall, an interesting topic to cover in a book, which I haven't read about before. 4 stars.

Happy reading,





3 comments:

  1. I liked this book, I think I forgot to review it though which can't be good looking back! I want to read 'Revived' though, by Cat Patrick too, maybe that will seal my opinion on her!
    Glad to see I wasn't the only one a little unsure about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just got this book for Christmas, it's on my to read list so I'll let you know my verdict when I have read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this book. I've read lots of positive reviews. Great review!
    Shakira

    ReplyDelete

We love to receive feedback, and it just makes our day whenever we read them, so thank you from the bottom of our hearts for any comments you may make.
Be sure to add us on twitter, and if you leave your username in the comment we will be sure to add you back!
Follow us as @G30rg13_R, @Gail__Abi, @Issy_Rich and @lily_kirby, or on Google+ as 'BrainStorm Books'.